TAKE ACTION - Illegal Dumping - MyLA311 and Glassell Park

October 27, 2015

This is your opportunuty to TAKE ACTION.

 

Revise this letter to your liking and send to our Mayor, our Councilmembers and their support staff. Together we can make a difference for our community. 

 

Mayor Eric Garcetti

Councilmember Gil Cedillo

Councilmember Mitch O’ Farrell

Councilmember José Huizar

 

With this letter, I am making an official request for the City of Los Angeles to take immediate action against illegal dumping in our community. This action should include: better response time to pickup requests, overall service in our neighborhoods, regular patrols for illegal dumping throughout our community and visible efforts to educate residents and businesses about illegal dumping and collection services available to them.

 

According to the LA Times, "Residents in Northeast Los Angeles received worse service for illegal dumping pickup than other parts of the city." In Glassell Park, only 40% of illegal dumping requests were fulfilled, leaving 60% of calls unanswered. The data shows the reality of what Glassell Park residents live with on a daily basis, and validates what the community already suspected--that we receive dramatically different levels of service in comparison to other parts of the city.

 

At the October 2015 Glassell Park Neighborhood Council board meeting, Molly Lynn Taylor brought this issue before the board. Board members and the stakeholders in attendance had the opportunity to discuss street trash, dumping, and community pride issues in Glassell Park and Northeast Los Angeles. The board considered some proactive ways to address the problems, solutions, and outreach opportunities. It is telling that one of the main reasons stakeholders attend our meetings is to report regular illegal dumping on their streets.

 

The MyLA311 app and website are the perfect tool for our community to take action, and therefore, we would like to formally request that our MyLA311 service requests in Glassell Park become the top priority for these reports: Bulky Item Pickup, Illegal Dumping Pickup, and Graffiti Removal. We further request that the appropriate departments take our calls, App requests, and internet requests with special attention toward the goal of a 99% answer rate within two years. This ongoing streetside blight is a serious quality of life issue in our community and this commitment would be a show of good faith between our underserved community and the city services we deserve.

 

The Glassell Park Neighborhood Council and other Glassell Park organizations have made community cleanliness and organized cleanup events a top priority. As part of that effort, our board members and outreach committee have promoted the use of the MyLA311 app and the MyLA 311 Service Request website to our stakeholders. But if most calls and reports go unanswered we will lose a real opportunity to summon change and empowerment in our community.

 

Thank you for your consideration of this important issue.

 

Mayor Eric Garcetti mayor.garcetti@lacity.org

 

CD1: 

Councilmember Gil Cedillo councilmember.cedillo@lacity.org

Jose Rodriguez Jose.A.Rodriguez@lacity.org

Mel Ilomin  Mel.Ilomin@lacity.org

 

CD13:

Councilmember Mitch O’ Farrell councilmember.ofarrell@lacity.org

Mary Rodriguez mary.d.rodriguez@lacity.org

 

CD14

Councilmember José Huizar councilmember.huizar@lacity.org

Lucy Aparicio lucy.aparicio@lacity.org

Lauren Ballard Lauren.Ballard@lacity.org

 

 

 

 

Please reload

Featured Posts

I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

Please reload

Recent Posts

September 7, 2017

September 1, 2017